3 to 1 ratio
Hear from Chad Johnson
Our Success Stories
About Our 3-To-1 Client Counselor Ratio
You’re an individual. You’re not a number in a set of statistics.
So it’s important that your individual needs are addressed. Your unique life, personal learning style, strengths, talents and knowledge, and goals — all contribute to your recovery process.
Tranquil Shores addresses your addiction by giving you individual attention, focused on your unique situation. You will receive a high level of support, attention and understanding. This enables you and your counselor to develop a relationship to achieve your goals in recovery.
One way Tranquil Shores achieves this individual attention is through its client-to-counselor ratio. The lower this ratio is, the more visible each client is to a counselor, and the more the counselor comes to understand the client as a person.
Importance of a Low Patient to Staff Ratio
When choosing a drug and alcohol rehab program, you must consider a lot of different criteria. Not only do you want to ensure the staff is qualified and well-experienced, but you also need to find out about their patient to staff ratio. A lower ratio represents a quality of care you won’t find at facilities with less staff available. It also means their program will have more medical oversight
The reason this is so important is that recovery from drug abuse and addiction is a highly personal and unique experience for each client. Not everyone goes through the process in the same way. This is especially true for those with a co-occuring disorder or addictions to multiple substances. It’s essential that the staff is present to assist with all your needs when they arise.
The best way to ensure your needs are met is to have continual access to staff members to receive their support and guidance. These addiction experts offer their experience and provide a comfortable and stable environment as you go through the process of quitting your addiction. When clients have individualized attention from more staff members, they tend to fare better in the long run.
When you choose a program with a lower patient to staff ratio like Tranquil Shores, you can expect quite a few different benefits, including:
- Personalized Care: Because everyone is different, it’s essential that a program offers flexibility to meet the needs of each client.
- More Supervision: When fewer staff members on hand, programs are unable to monitor them the way they should, and certain issues get overlooked or ignored. When more supervision is available, it ensures each client stays on track and finds success with their individual goals.
- Increased Safety: When more staff is available, they can attend to emergency situations quickly.
- Smoother Operations: The more people on staff to run a facility, the smoother the entire program will run, as they can ensure clients have everything they need and are following the set guidelines.
- More Connection: Addiction tends to make individuals isolated, so it’s essential that clients feel like they’re a part of a greater community again to recover. Personalized attention from the staff means clients can create close relationships with them and receive the support they need.
What is a good client-to-counselor ratio?
Some professional healthcare associations have made recommendations for standards. About half the states in the country mandate standards for licensure of rehabilitation programs. For example, New Jersey and Iowa require a maximum 8:1 ratio, while in Colorado it’s 12:1.
SAMHSA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, rates client-to-counselor ratios as:
- Low: 4 clients or fewer per staff
- Medium: 5 to 14 clients per staff
- High: more than 14 clients per staff (1)
Tranquil Shores has set a very high client-to-counselor standard. Our ratio is 3:1. This allows your counselor to get to know you as an individual and provide the support you need. It allows your counselor and you to mutually understand your individual addiction, and develop your plan to reclaim your life.
Our Focus Is On Customization for Each Client
Drug and alcohol rehab programs often have enough staff on board to give everyone the same, standardized care. However, each individual is coming into treatment with different issues and needs, and bigger treatment facilities may not have enough support for those with special needs. Oftentimes, they rely on a cookie-cutter approach to recovery, unable to focus on the unique problems their clients are experiencing. Generalized treatment plans don’t necessarily work for everyone.
At Tranquil Shores we are heavily staffed with a focus on customization for each client. If someone needs more individual sessions of therapy per week or needs to go longer than 90 days we are able to accommodate. It is very important to make sure each individual is getting the full care they need so when upon completion of treatment they are fully equipped to integrate back into real life.
Are You Ready To Take The Next Step?
Get confidential help today by contacting one of our dedicated team members or by calling us directly at (727) 888-6623. We are here and ready to help your reclaim your life today!